Monday, May 30, 2005

The terrible twos

+2's that is.

I'm a relatively new golfer (been going at it for a little over 2 years now) and I'm on the verge of breaking 80 for the first time. I know that I have all the tools to do it. It's been my goal all year to do it. I just can't freakin do it.

Having studied my stats, I've realized that my biggest nemesis on my quest to break 80 is the double bogey. But, it's not so much what a single double does to my scorecared, it's what it does to my focus and confidence. One double invariably leads to more doubles and/or a string of bogeys. For instance, I'll play holes 1 thru 6 at 1-over, then hit a quirky drive on 7 and wind-up with a double bogey. Having the wind taken from my sails, it's common for me to double-up on either 8 0r 9 as well. More often than not I'll do something similar on the back nine. Hence, I wind-up with a lot of 82's, 84's, 86's with three to six double bogeys on my card.

I was wondering if any of my readers have any advice for me on how to deal with these double bogeys. What do you do to maintain focus after a double bogey?

5 Comments:

Blogger Bunker said...

You just go to the next hole and play like it never happened. You can't try to make it up. It's done, and on your card.

11:23 AM  
Blogger Calvin said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:51 PM  
Blogger Calvin said...

If you make a bogey every three holes and par the other two you shoot 6 over or 78 on a par 72 course. When I was on the verge of breaking 80 I try to play 6 sections of 3 holes mentally. If I make a double bogey I try to make it up in the next section of 3 holes like try to par all 3 holes, then I would be back on track again.

It narrows down your focus more rather than try to play 18 or 9 holes at a time.

4:53 PM  
Blogger mediaguru @ HookedOnGolfBlog.com said...

I carded a 9 on the #2 par 5 hole in a tournament one time. Since I already thought I knocked myself out of the money, I played loosely and had some fun. I mixed in a bunch of birdies and some solid pars the rest of the way and took 2nd place.

Tiger shot a 40 on the front nine at Augusta in round one in 97. Then he blew the field away for 3.5 days.

You just have to stay with it and not get too mad. I tend to play poorly on a hole after I 3 putt the previous. That 3 putt costs me more later on becuase of my brain getting in the way.

Focus on each shot and forget the last one.

10:05 PM  
Blogger The Duke said...

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm gonna try to put it to good use this weekend. I'll let ya'll know how it turned out.

5:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home