Friday, May 27, 2005

Cry me a river

After a year of representation, Ernie Els is leaving IMG for undisclosed reasons. This article speculates that it may have something to do with the IMG memo about quasi-appearance fees that caused a big ado in the golf community.

In March, the South African had voiced his displeasure about being included in a letter IMG sent to select PGA Tour tournament sponsors regarding corporate outings. The letter listed Els and other top pros as being available to play corporate events during tournament weeks for a price of $100,000-$200,000 per outing.

"I made it very clear to IMG and to the Tour here (in the U.S.) that I'm not for it," Els said in March. "I'm not standing for it, OK. And for people to speak on my behalf without talking to me, I don't like that very much. So I made that very clear to IMG."


Seriously. 200K per outing? Shyit...he can make 2-3 times that much in appearance fees playing a tournament in commie China.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home